Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

On waking up in the middle of the night

Ever since Hubby Blue started working the night shift two and a half weeks ago, I have not slept well.

Two years of sleeping next to someone has gotten me conditioned to expecting that someone to be there!  Now, every night, I'd guess I wake up at least four times.  Sometimes it's a bad dream, sometimes it's just nothing.  I even wake up when HB is right next to me...which isn't often because even on his "days" (which are really nights) off he tries to stay on the same sleep cycle.  The last time he was home and slept like a "normal person," as he said, I dreamt he was having a stroke and no one was helping him.  We were with all these people from the police academy and I kept telling them something was wrong with him but everyone said he was fine.  Ugh.  I actually woke him up and made him tell me he was okay!  "See, wifey, I'm moving both my arms, I'm fine." ...Um, what?!  Where do these dreams come from?  I had another bad one last night but had forgotten it by the time I got out of bed for the day.  I guess that's good, but do you ever wish you could remember dreams so you could deal with them and try to analyze them?  Maybe I'm just weird like that.

Anyway, since about the second night Hubby Blue was working, I got this thought in my head that when I wake up for no reason, that it's because God is waking me up to pray for him.  Call me crazy!!!  The first night this happened to me, it was about 5:30 am, and when I told HB, he said he was in the station at 5:30 and he kind of laughed at me...liiiiike the crazy person I am.  I said, "Well, I don't care, I prayed for you anyway," and we kind of joked about it.  Last night, though, was a different story!

I woke up at exactly 4:00 am.  When you're a teacher and you're not a morning person, every minute of sleep is precious...I know it was 4:00 am because I immediately looked at the clock!  I was just about to drift back to sleep when the thought hit me...PRAY!  Does this sound as goofy to you as it does to me?  Actually, I don't think it's that goofy, but I'm pretty sure HB does. :)  I asked God to keep him safe and I went back to sleep.

6:45 am...HB gets home.  He proceeds to tell me all about his night, how they had to move a roadkill deer off the road and he PICKED IT UP (my Hubby Blue is not a small man), how they had a few traffic stops, and then how they got a call for a well-being check.  I won't go into details, but long story short, they thought there was a chance of this actually being a set-up.  He tells me the whole story, about how they walked up to the house ready for action, etc etc etc.

"WHAT?!" I scream.
Hubby laughs, grins just like the cat that caught the canary, and I can tell he loves telling me this story.
"What time was this?!?!" I shout.
"Oh...about...3:50."
"3:50!  God woke me up to pray for you.  At 4:00!  And I did.  And you came home safe to me."

Done and done.  Hubby laughed, but I'd say with a pretty fair amount of certainty...point made, case closed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note this is an anonymous blog. Thank you!